• Label and/or code every box! It’ll streamline your unpacking if you identify and unpack room by room.
• Start early with a couple of boxes each day. It helps to pack a room at a time.
• Distribute with heavy items—no box should be over 50 lbs..
• Use smaller boxes for heavier items (like books) for better manageability.
• Heavy items go in first.
• Cover clothing with plastic against moisture or dust.
• Do not store combustibles, including paint and thinners.
Boxes, boxes, boxes! Start collecting early—you’d be surprised how many you’ll need.
• For clothing, best to purchase large garment boxes (about $15 each). They have sturdy crossbars across the top so you can hang your suits, dresses, coats, etc.
• Clear plastic bags are great for small stuff and you can easily identify their contents.
• Packing Tape—you can’t have too much. Don’t forget to tape the box bottoms.
• Masking tape is excellent for labeling or securing covers around larger items.
• Twine or sturdy cord for tying up cords and boxes and framed items.
• Labels help you and the movers unload boxes to the right room. Use colored labels to instantly identify each box. And don’t forget the markers.
• Foam peanuts, newspaper, paper towels or bubble wrap.
• Small tools, like hammer or screwdriver, for disassembly.
• And a notepad to record and color-code what you packed. Keep this with your important documents.